Good Afternoon Free State Community,
Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding the cancelation of the Summer Weights & Conditioning Program at Lawrence Free State on Monday and Tuesday of this week. While it was my hope to not have to interrupt this Summer’s activities, the health and safety of our student-athletes and staff will always be my priority; therefore, the decision to cancel was made out of an abundance of caution related to potential COVID-19 exposure by several of our workout participants. In addition to reviewing the original paperwork included with the online registration instructions, please take a moment and review a letter from Dr. Lewis, Superintendent of the Lawrence Public Schools, and COVID-19 Flow Chart.
Furthermore, please make sure you discuss all of this information with your student-athlete, especially the points detailed below.
- In order to protect the health and safety of all participants, student-athletes and staff must be completely honest with symptom reporting and appropriate follow through, or risk jeopardizing the ability to continue the Summer program for themselves and others. ANYONE feeling sick should stay home and contact their healthcare provider.
- Anyone who has experienced any of the signs or symptoms of COVID-19 within the previous 14-days should not attend workout activities unless they receive a negative COVID-19 test. If this applies to your student-athlete, please communicate this information with myself or your student-athlete’s head coach.
- Anyone who has had contact with a person who has tested positive for the Coronavirus should not participate in any workout activities for 14-days from the time of exposure unless they themselves have tested negative (after the initial exposure). If this applies to your student-athlete, please communicate this information with myself or your student-athlete’s head coach.
- Anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 will not be allowed to participate without a written release from their healthcare provider.
- It is imperative that we maintain appropriate social distancing as directed by the state of Kansas and the Douglas County Health Department. In an effort to assist, we are asking that student-athletes do not carpool with anyone outside of their immediate family.
- If you travel outside of Kansas at any time this Summer (or did so within the last 14-days), please make sure you reference the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s list of states that require a mandatory travel-related quarantine.
In addition to the above mentioned information, I have been contacted a few times regarding Summer conditioning workouts and team camp participation. Per the Kansas State High School Activities Association, a student-athlete is required to participate in a minimum of ten conditioning workouts (football players are required to participate in a minimum of fifteen conditioning workouts) in order to attend team camp(s) this Summer. I understand this mandate is frustrating for those of you who are traveling prior to the start of our team camp window (scheduled to start on Monday, July 13); however, it is not mandatory for a student-athlete to attend team camp in the Summer. Moreover, if a student-athlete is unable to attend team camp, he/she may still continue to attend conditioning/open gym/etc. throughout the duration of the Summer.
As we continue to navigate the challenges of COVID-19 this Summer (and into the school year), please continue to exercise patience and flexibility as we are presented with a new challenge or situation that we have never encountered (literally) every day. My goal is to not interrupt the plans originally laid out for the next six weeks; however, I would be naïve to think that issues will not arise in the future. Moving forward, should there be any changes to the schedule, cancelation of workouts, etc., I will communicate that with you all via email in addition to posting information on Twitter (@ADFaunceLawFS).
Again, thank you for your understanding this week and, as always, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any concerns/questions.
Amanda Faunce, Athletic Director